Shingles Symptoms and Causes
One of the first symptoms of shingles is usually sharp pain along one side of the body but can it also spread to others areas of the body, even on the face. This is then followed by shingles rash, and small fluid-filled blisters like chickenpox after a few days. Swelling may occur around the rashes and it can be very itchy.
Shingles is caused by the same strain of virus as chickenpox, a family of the herpes viruses, which causes nerve pain or fever without blisters in the early stages followed by clear blisters. Symptoms of shingles can be triggered by a weak immune system and is typically worse with age. Though shingles is not life threatening, it can cause great pain, discomfort and misery for the afflicted. Shingles usually takes anything from three to five weeks to recover. Although not common, shingles can recur many years later.
Common shingles prevention is by shingles vaccination, which stimulates the immune system to fight the virus that causes shingles. This reduces the risk of shingles in people aged 60 and older. Complications developing from shingles and severity of its symptoms increases with patients aged from 60 to 75 or older.
What To Take:
- Foods high in B-vitamins such as beef, cultured dairy, eggs, organic chicken and wild caught fish supports the nervous system. High dose of vitamin B12 is a tried and tested treatment for shingles.
- Hydration to flush out the virus from your system. Drink at least 8 ounces of water every 2 hours.
- Garlic & Onions herbs/vegetable, green leafy vegetables can help boost immune function.
- Vitamin C rich foods orange and yellow fruits and vegetables.
- Emu Oil capsules Emu Oil is a rich source of Omega 3,6 &9 that helps reduce inflammation and fortify a weakened immune system with vitamins A, D, E & F. Loading up on vitamin C inhibits the spread of the virus.
What To Avoid:
- Sugar – Decreases the body’s ability to fight infection.
- Caffeine – Depletes the body of fluids.
- Carbonated beverages & Fried foods – Promote a more acidic system, avoid during acute illness.
Natural Home Remedy:
Shingles or varicella zoster virus is a strain of chickenpox and is contagious. Avoid contact with those who are not immune to or vaccinated against chickenpox and especially pregnant women, cancer patients, marrow transplant recipients and organ donor patients.
Shower with Emu Tracks Emu Oil 2-in-1 Shampoo & Wash for sensitive & problem skin. It contains no petrochemicals, parabens, silicone, artificial fragrance & colouring that may aggravate the skin condition.
Cool bath or shower helps to ease the pain of shingles and calm the itch. Cold compress can offer much needed relief.
Take 2 drops of each Tea Tree Oil & Peppermint essential oil and mix it with 1/4 tsp of Pure Emu Oil and rub it on area of shingles pain. This helps fight infection, relieve pain, itch & prevents scarring.
If condition does not improve or discomfort is unbearable, consult a healthcare professional.